Prepare For Your Kitchen Remodel: Living Without A Kitchen
In the excitement of planning your new kitchen, you might forget that during construction you will be living without this very necessary room for a little while. Even the best-laid plans can go astray and from ordering materials to delays in scheduling, it is not uncommon for kitchen remodels to take longer than expected.
- Where will you set up a make-shift kitchen, and what should you include? Options might include a basement, garage, or mudroom. Wherever you choose, be sure to include a refrigerator, burner, coffee maker, and toaster oven. Many people like to include a bottled water cooler in the temp kitchen. Make sure this area is off-limits to "staging" from the contractors so you can still use the area.
- Where will you wash your dishes? Your bathroom sink might be the easiest answer but be sure to factor in that food waste will clog the smaller pipes in a bathroom sink. You may want to simplify your cooking during the remodel. Stocking the temp kitchen with paper plates, bowls, plastic wear cuts down on clean up and mess.
You might like: Signs It's Time to Remodel Your Kitchen
Your Kitchen Remodel Budget
During the time of limited activity caused by the pandemic, many Colorado Springs homeowners are choosing to take on home remodeling projects in lieu of vacations and other entertainment expenses. But very few of us can spend money as freely as we would like. All home improvements need a budget, and remodeling your kitchen is no exception.
As you prepare for your kitchen remodel:
- Have you taken the time to think about what upgrades to your kitchen are most important to you? There are upgrades available at just about every stage of construction, from flooring to appliances to cabinetry. Make sure you know what items you are willing to splurge on as you prepare for your kitchen remodel, and which items are not so important.
- Have I factored eating out into the cost of the remodel? A great quality meal cannot be taken for granted. Factor in going out to eat into your overall cost for the remodel to make sure you are expecting the full cost.
- How long will the remodel take? A good kitchen remodeling consultant can help you budget your time as well as the expense.
- As kitchen designers with over 20 years of experience, we recommend you factor in cost overruns and scope creep as you prepare for your kitchen remodel. Many experienced Colorado Springs home contractors recommend setting aside 20% of the total budget for unexpected expenses.
Prepare For The Construction Phase Of Your Kitchen Remodel
When you prepare for your kitchen remodel, picture all phases of the remodel, from the current state of the kitchen through construction and on to the final stages of completion.
- Do you have a staging area for materials? The workmen will need a space to store their mess, from tile and flooring to cabinets.
- Are you prepared for the chaos, dust, and workers in your home that accompanies a kitchen remodel?
Remodeling your kitchen can be one of the most valuable upgrades you make to a Colorado Springs home. If you prepare for your kitchen remodel ahead of time, you can avoid many of the frustrations and delays that others experience.
A skilled Colorado Springs kitchen remodeler will help plan for all phases of the project so that you don't find yourself unprepared when the time comes. With over 20 years of experience in custom kitchen design and remodeling in Colorado Springs, Designer Kitchens is well-equipped to help you answer all of these questions and more. Please contact us today to schedule a free in-home kitchen design consultation with our CKD and NKBA certified team.