Upgrading existing lighting with affordable (but attractive) replacements is a fast and easy way to dramatically change the appearance of the kitchen area.
A few kitchen-friendly fixtures to consider are:
- Can lights: These are best used in task-oriented areas, such as sinks and food prep stations.
- Pendant lights (either mini or full size) for eating areas.
- Undercabinet lights for cabinets and pantries
Additional note: An increasing percentage of home buyers are millennials. According to research, this age group highly prioritizes energy-efficient lighting. If you intend to sell to buyers in their mid-twenties to early-thirties, consider investing in LED-friendly light fixtures.
Cabinets are one of the primary focal points in every kitchen, and are also one the most heavily-used storage spaces in an entire home.
Because they are a key part of a kitchen’s function and appearance, cabinets should be a top priority for house flippers – especially if the home is over 20 years old.
What Should You Consider When Picking Cabinets?
When picking the style of cabinetry to use for your kitchen, consider the preferences of buyers most likely to purchase your home, as well as the cabinet style of other homes in the area.
Specific features to think about include:
- Storage Space: Most home buyers look forward to having an excess of storage space. By adding cabinetry that offers plenty of shelving and drawer space, you can give your buyers exactly what they’re looking for.
- Stylish Appearance: As one of the largest focal points in a kitchen, adding functional and beautiful cabinet faces is a must. Find specific cabinet styles for your Colorado home here.
- Functionality: No kitchen is complete without good ergonomics. Picking the appropriate countertop heights, cabinet spacing, and layout is key for a truly beautiful cooking space. To create a truly effective cabinet layout, working with a professional kitchen designer is recommended.
Upgrade Appliances for a Well-Rounded Remodel
Appliances may not be the first thing to meet the eye when entering a kitchen, but they are one of the most important pieces of the kitchen’s overall utility.
If possible, choose high-quality stainless-steel appliances from well-known brands to increase the perceived value of the room.
Replace Old Flooring
With the amount of foot traffic that kitchens receive, it’s normal for the flooring in that section of the house to appear more worn down that other areas of the home.
Consider replacing old kitchen flooring with an easy to maintain option, such as vinyl, laminate or tile. If you really want to turn heads, consider adding engineered or authentic hardwood.
In a fast-paced, high demand housing marketing like Colorado Springs, kitchen remodels are one of the soundest investments you can make in a soon-to-be flipped property. For the best results, we recommend updating visual features such as lighting and flooring, as well as more functional aspects like appliances and cabinets.