Questions about the business
Before signing on the dotted line, there are some questions to ask first concerning the kitchen designer’s business:
How long has the company been in business? Having your dream kitchen designed for your home is a big step, so you want someone who knows what they’re doing. So check to see if the designer is certified through the National Kitchen & Bath Association, or something similar. Ask if the designer attends industry design shows and seminars also. Attending these events keeps the designer up on the latest trends and new products. In addition, ask if the designer has taken design courses or has gone to design school.
Ask about references
Another important thing to ask for is references. Here, find out if any other clients of your kitchen planner have had something similar done in their kitchen designs. If so, ask if you could visit those clients’ homes to see the work for yourself if they’re close by. If you do get the chance to visit any homes of previous clients, ask how pleased they were with the work too and if there were any issues. If you can’t visit, at least get the phone numbers to make phone calls and talk to the previous clients. Maybe they could send you pictures that you could upload on your cellphone.
The designer’s portfolio
The kitchen designer should have a portfolio which is both diverse and interesting. It should show different styles, designs and colors. The more diverse it is, the better the kitchen designer will be because it shows that the designer listens to the client and doesn’t force opinions on clients. It also shows experience whether or not the work was well done.
Finding out how long the warranty is good for is important because a new kitchen is a large investment. You want to be sure that all work and products are warrantied in case there are any problems.
The project itself
There’s also information you need to have with the questions that you’re asking and other important things like:
- What is your budget going to be? Before you meet with your kitchen designer, you need to know what your budget is going to be. If you have an idea on what you want and how much you want to spend, then your designer can make appropriate suggestions. The designer will then know what different product lines are in your budget’s range.
- Does the designer know how to use the product manuals? Product manuals have the different kitchen design products carried by different vendors and the accessories.
- How long will the remodeling process take? A kitchen remodeling project may take anywhere between 4 to 6 months. That’s if everything’s already been planned out and what’s needed has been ordered. But if you’re at the very beginning stages and you don’t have anything designed and chosen, it could take a year or so. Too, if your cabinets are imported from Europe, the overseas shipping will take longer. So be sure that you’re getting what you want when you are ordering at the right price, and that everything is warrantied. What you have to find out additionally is what is the timeline for each section of the project. This way, you can plan ahead on everyone’s schedules as each section comes along, especially if you want to be there when the work is being done.
- How long does the kitchen design take? If you’re working on a timeline, the amount of design time is critical. The design time could be anywhere from one to three weeks, but find out what it is so that you can add that into your timeline.
- Will there be more than one kitchen design created? Most designers will create more than one design that will follow across a price spectrum. The designs usually cover an assortment of options with various kitchen design ideas. If the designer you hire will do this, it’s well worth the extra money involved because it gives you different options for your money. The kitchen is going to be there for a long time after all.
- How much will your input be considered? The new kitchen is being done so that the new kitchen suits the needs of you and your family. This is why the designer knowing your lifestyle is so important because it’s about your needs. So a designer who cares about work that’s being done finds out what your remodeling ideas are also to accomplish this. But the designer’s job too is to let you know if your ideas are practical.
When doing a big remodeling project such as a kitchen, hiring a kitchen designer can be one of the wisest decisions that you’ll can make. So hire the best one that you can find so that you get the most out of your remodeling budget.